M.A. Luisa Turbino Torres
Deputy Head of Communication and PR
- Institution: University of Delaware, United States
- Luisa Turbino Torres (she/them pronouns) is a Ph.D. Candidate in the Department of Political Science and International Relations at the University of Delaware, U.S.A. Luisa is currently also an adjunct instructor at the University of Delaware, teaching classes on Latin America Politics, Comparative Politics, and Gender Studies. Luisa is originally from Belo Horizonte, Brazil and have attended the Federal University of Minas Gerais, from where she got her master’s and bachelor’s degrees at the School of Law and State Science.
Luisa’s work looks at the intersection of sports and politics in a distinctive way, looking at why and how are sports political, focusing on activism emerging around soccer in Brazil in recent years and particularly seeking to understand the ways in which it challenges the masculine dominance in these spaces. In understanding soccer as political, soccer is also a space for political organizing.
- Research Topics: Soccer; Activism and Resistance; Contemporary Political Theory; Feminist Theory.
- “Why did I join BRaS?” I joined BRaS to be more connected with other people producing knowledge related to Brazil. I believe that research and knowledge production is a collective endeavor and interdisciplinary spaces like BRaS are crucial to this activity. I share and echo BRaS’ commitments to the democratization of knowledge and its significance to the research process.
- Location: Newark, Delaware, USA
- Email: email@example.com